-----

"How to etch Chromium film on ss-304?"

Q. Can someone suggest a chemical solution to etch hard and adherent Chromium films on SS-304? The ss substrate is only 50 microns thick and is a highly polished one. The requirement is that the etchant should not create any discoloration, stains or surface roughness. Suggestions awaited eagerly.

Thanks and regards,

Varun Joshi
- Bangalore, Karnataka, India
^

? Hi Varun. I assume the Cr layer was applied by PVD? Why do you want to etch it (i.e., what is the etch supposed to do), so we can have some sense of what the etchant is required to accomplish while not discoloring or staining a highly polished surface. At first blush, "etching" without creating surface roughness sounds like an oxymoron :-( Thanks and Regards,

^

Q. Hi!

Yes, the Cr layer was applied by the PVD method. I want to perform a blanket etch. Something went wrong with the layer properties and I wanted to completely remove the Cr film and re-work it. Only problem - Cr is ss! The Cr etchant would etch the SS as well, I suppose? In that case, what are my options?

Thanks in advance!

Varun Joshi
- Bangalore, Karnataka, India
^