-----

"Corrosion in Heat Exchangers for VCM Production Unit"

Q. Hi all,

I would like to ask you for some ideas, links or simply advice.

ACRONYMS:

VCM = vinyl chloride monomer
EDC = ethylene dichloride

Issue: Corrosion in heat exchanger situated behind the column in VCM production unit. Severe conditions (150 °C), mixture of vinyl chloride, EDC and HCl (15 wt %).

Question: What material for tube do you recommend please? I have already browsed lots of sites and always I struggle with the high temperature constraints. Therefore I am not sure of using and being satisfied with C 276 or Super duplex.

Any Ideas?

Martin Sandor
- Bratislava, Slovakia
^

sidebar2

Q. Dear Mr. Mooney,

Please let me ask you a question. I have already noticed your website www.finishing.com and I like it. I am so glad that such site exists and can provide real advice among people. I would like to belong to this group but I am not sure if it works. The reason is that I tried to publish a question I have been solving for a week but I can't see it there within your website. Please would you be so kind and help me with this situation?

I am looking forward to your answer and advice.

Best regards

Martin Sandor [returning]
- Bratislava, Slovakia
^

Hi cousin Martin. Apologies for the delay in posting your inquiry :-(

We've discovered from experience and by looking at sites like Facebook, that we can't maintain the type of site we wish (fun & full of Aloha but professional, free of ad hominem insults & spam) without personally monitoring the postings. Further, as is human nature, people start duplicative threads instead of searching the site, or try to attach off-topic questions to existing threads, which would turn every thread into a hodgepodge. This all sometimes leads to delays in postings; sometimes submittals are buried under constantly incoming new mail and never get posted at all -- which is something I regret and work to avoid because if someone takes the time to submit a posting, courtesy demands that we respond.

We try to post all submitted technical questions even if they are a bit off-track from our central focus of metal finishing. But it can introduce additional delay because I didn't even know what VCM and EDC meant without some googling. Sorry I can't personally make any suggestions :-)

Regards, and Welcome.

^