a Website for Serious Education ...
plus the most FUN you can have in metal finishing.

HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedsPublic Forum

Aluminum spring material

Q. Hi, I'm looking to find some aluminum spring material in the shape of a bar (rectangular profile). The finished shape would be 1 1/2"L x 3/8" W x 1/16" D. I am not sure what the spring constant should be at this point and I will most likely have to experiment with one of the cross section dimensions to get it right. The spring will be anchored at one end and its other end will be held with a trigger that when released will activate the spring and its free end will pull downward and return to its natural curved shape. Two questions please:

1. What are likely suppliers for this material?

2. How is the material most likely to be supplied? Will it come as a curved bar from which the required length is cut or will it come as a straight bar from which the required length is cut, then each piece is individually bent and heat treated to achieve the required springness.

Jacques

Jacques Chaurette
inventor - Montreal/Quebec/Canada

Q. I want to add that the spring only needs to work once so there is no fatigue limit issue.

After doing more research I have found that aluminum 7075 which has a yield strength of 61,000 psi might be the appropriate material. It's available at Mcmaster Carr at a reasonable cost and I can do some trails to see if it will flex sufficiently.

Jacques Chaurette [returning]
- Montreal, Quebec, Canada

This public forum has 60,000 threads. If your question seems off topic to this thread, you might prefer to search the site: