HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedsForum  Letter 60304

What is Emulsion Passivation?

Q. I am engaged in surface finishing industries for a long time. Presently I have come across a term "Emulsion Passivation" which I don't know. So I am eager to know about "Emulsion Passivation".

rathin_mukhopadhyay
Rathin Mukhopadhyay
- Kolkata, West Bengal, India

A. Hi Rathin. Although I've never heard that exact term, I think it could probably be used to appropriately describe passivation which is done by letting a gel (an emulsion) sit on the area when it's not practical to dip the item into a passivation solution -- e.g., at a field weld. Stellar Solutions [a finishing.com supporting advertiser], for example, offers their Citrisurf 2210 Gel which is used in this way.

A. Haven't heard of that one before, but our customers have invented terms like that in the past.

Are you sure the word wasn't "immersion"? I sometimes use that word to distinguish the traditional dunk-your-parts-in-a-bath method from some of the gel and spray application products like what Ted mentioned.

Can you describe the context in which this term appeared?