HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedsForum letter 60285

Why no electroless chrome platings available commercially?

Q. Can anyone tell me why there are no electroless chrome plating processes available commercially? I want to plate the inside of a long curved nickel-aluminum pipe with a 3 mm ID.
Tim

Tim Grossman
product development - Boston, Massachusetts, USA

A. Hi Tim. I think the best answer I can give you is "it's not from lack of trying". The ability to even electroplate chrome is almost a surprise; people have won the American Electroplater's Society "Scientific Achievement Award" for just trying to explain why/how it is possible.

Any chance that electroless nickel would suffice? That sounds doable. Good luck.