-----

"Is silver-plated steel safe to work with?"

Q. I bought a used (tarnished) 18 x 14 inch silver-plated serving tray marked "Godinger Silver Art Co. Ltd. Made in China". I have cut it into pieces (hammer and chisel) to make fishing lures, but before I start using power tools for other operations, in your opinion, is there anything in that coating that I should worry about?

If it helps, here's what it looks like:

60270-1a  60270-1b  60270-1c

Zachary Daniels
- Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
^

A. Hi Zachary. I don't think either one of us really knows what it's made of. But I think if you wear a dust mask (there is NO dust that is safe to inhale) it's unlikely that any mechanical operation that you perform on an article that was designed for food service is likely to endanger you chemically.

^