-----

"Will commercial paint strippers break down Kynar finishes?"

Q. I have some aluminum window framing originally coated with what definitely appears to be a type of Kynar finish, that was later painted over with a standard exterior paint. The topcoat appears to be latex, but could also be a type of spray paint, either way I am certain it is your typical paint that can be removed with paint stripper.

I do not want to risk testing the underlying Kynar finish in this case. Can anyone tell me if using paint stripper to remove the regular paint will in turn damage the Kynar finish underneath also? If Kynar is impervious to standard paint strippers than I will have a low risk solution to getting back to the original finish. If not, I won't risk it.

Glenn Sterkel
home restoration - South Elgin, Illinois
^