-----

"Removing scratches from galvanized kitchen table"

Q. My new galvanized kitchen table has small scratches. The steel is hammered. The scratches are superficial. I cannot feel them with my nail. How can I remove them.

60088-1a  60088-1b

Beth Silverman
- Usa
^

Bon Ami 6-pack

A. Hi Beth. It doesn't look like "galvanized" to me ... I think it's stainless steel. It's going to be difficult to keep very small scratches off a metal table because ceramic (china, grains of sand, etc.) is harder than metal, and is therefore prone to scratching it.

Removing small scratches is called "buffing". You may be able to buff by hand with a sponge and a very mild abrasive like Bon Ami (go in the direction of the brush finish). If not, you would need buffing compound on a small buffing wheel in a Dremel or battery-operated drill, but you may make it worse (by making the area you buff too shiny). I think you should try hard to find out exactly what the table is made of before using any power tools on it :-)

^