-----

"Applying HCl to starch in the food industry"

Q. Hi, I am a chemical engineer. I work in a starch industry. This is my first time to handle HCl 32% solution. Would you mind to give me some information about the application of HCl in starch industry? How much is the safe concentration of HCl that we can apply to food or starch? Thank you so much for your attention :)

Widya Wahyu
- Lampung,Indonesia
^

Hi Widya. Sorry but I know nothing about this; and I don't know whether anybody who does will stumble upon your inquiry. But we'll see :-)

^

A. Good day Widya.

Whoa! I am way out of my league. I do not mean any offense. That is a very general question coming from a chemical engineer. I googled the MSDS for the starch I use @ 1% for chemical analysis. Have a look at it. I would think some direct research is required. Salicylic acid is used as a means of mediating pathogens in starch. Try a google on this and discover its history and its uses for food and drug applications.
Hope this helps.

Eric Bogner, Lab. Tech
Aerotek Mfg. Ltd. - Whitby, Ontario, Canada
^