-----

"Is black iron pipe good for making fence"

Q. I am looking for an answer if black iron pipe is good for fence since I am a newbie on a construction firm

carl perez
contrctor - Philippines
^

A. Hi Carl. The reason you see so much galvanized pipe fencing around the world is that it provides corrosion resistance that black iron pipe doesn't. Black iron would only be satisfactory outside is it was properly pretreated and painted.

We do, however, see a lot of Cor-ten ("weathering steel") on highway guard rails and other outdoor applications, so if you don't mind the rusty look, I suppose you could make a fence from weathering steel pipe. Good luck.

^