QC Saying: "»≠—what you don't measure"

(2000)

There is a famous quality quotation that says, in essence, that "you can't fix what you don't measure."

What exactly was the quotation and who said it? I saw it in print once and I would like to frame it.

Jeff Pernick
IHC Inc. - Detroit, Michigan USA

(2000)

Good question! I thought it was "You can't control what you don't measure".

(2000)

I think Ted is correct and it came from Demming.

James Totter
James Totter, CEF
- Tallahassee, Florida

Quality Calibration Handbook

(2000)

According to the quality guru where I work, what you are looking for may be from Lord Kelvin, 1883:

"When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind."

bill vins
Bill Vins
microwave & cable assemblies
Mesa (what a place-a), Arizona 

I, too, thought it was Demming, so I sought to verify that. While Demming stressed measurement, he actually looked at many things that were important to control but that could not be measured.

Ken Robey
- Matthews, North Carolina, USA