How to prep and bond Invar to epoxy panels

A discussion started in 2000 and continuing through 2020
Adding your Q. / A. or Comment will restore it to the Current Topics page

2000

Q. I need to bond an Invar plate to carbon reinforced epoxy blocks.This is for a thermally stable platform I'm building for a telescope. Can anyone tell me the proper surface prep for the Invar plate to maximize adhesion using room temperature epoxy adhesive? If chemical treatment is the best method, I would appreciate a description of the procedures, chemicals, and pitfalls.

Chris Dumlao
engineer/hobbyist - Pleasanton, California, USA

2004

Q. Were there responses to this request for information regarding surface preparation procedures for Invar prior to bonding with epoxy?

Todd Mower
- Lexington, Massachusetts USA

A. WE ARE INFORMED THAT ITW PLEXUS ADHESIVE MA420 AND THEIR PRIMER PC120 ARE FOR BONDING INVAR TO CARBON FIBER COMPOSITES.

KANNAN VENKATACHALAM
OPTICS ASSEMBLY MANUFACTURER - Pondicherry India

sidebar 2002

Q. I recently found a product called "Caucciu" in Italy, that translates as "Invar Rubber" and on doing a web search I found you and I am hoping that you may be able to direct me as to what sort of manufacturer/company I should be looking at to obtain this product. I live in Sydney, Australia. Any help you can give would be most appreciated.

Peter Kissner
- Sydney, NSW, Australia

A. Hi Peter. I don't think "Caucciu" has anything at all to to do with the metal "Invar" :-)
I believe the word just means "natural rubber", but that what happened is that in Italian it is an 'invariable' noun (same in plural form, as in the singular) noun ... and that someone may have just seen the abbreviation "INVAR" when they looked it up in the dictionary. Good luck.

Etching Super Invar 32-5 for Bonding

2006

Q. Does anyone have suggestions on an etchant solution for super Invar 32-5? If so, please include solution composition, immersion time, and temperature of the solution.

Greg Wasielewski
Aerospace - Palo Alto, California, USA

2006

Our Company has developed etching, polishing of Hastelloy C, Invar, Kovar, etc. If you need help, let us know.

anna_berkovich
Anna Berkovich
Russamer Lab
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 
russamer labs banner

Prep before BR-127 Primer on Invar

Q. We recently received 2 RFQs from different companies to apply BR-127 over Invar.
One vendor wants us to clean the parts in an alkaline cleaner and apply the BR-127 afterwards.
The other vendor, wants us to use the FPL etch and then apply the BR-127.
We are used to applying BR-127 over aluminum and other substrates, however, I believe that the proper procedure should be grit blast at low pressure with aluminum oxide media, followed by sol-gel treatment and then BR-127.

I would like to hear from the forum their opinion

Martiroz Avoyan
- Los Angeles, California - USA

A. Hi Martiroz. I guess there are many sol-gels but a lot of them are used as parting agents, so I would be surprised if they are appropriate to use before a primer. Grit blasting sounds appropriate, but I don't know which if any etch would be appropriate. Hopefully a reader has experience with it.

adv.   accurate anodizing banner