How to prep and bond Invar to epoxy panels

(2000)

Q. I need to bond an Invar plate to carbon reinforced epoxy blocks.This is for a thermally stable platform I'm building for a telescope. Can anyone tell me the proper surface prep for the Invar plate to maximize adhesion using room temperature epoxy adhesive? If chemical treatment is the best method, I would appreciate a description of the procedures, chemicals, and pitfalls.

Chris Dumlao
engineer/hobbyist - Pleasanton, California, USA

(2004)

Q. Were there responses to this request for information regarding surface preparation procedures for Invar prior to bonding with epoxy?

Todd Mower
- Lexington, Massachusetts USA

A. WE ARE INFORMED THAT ITW PLEXUS ADHESIVE MA420 AND THEIR PRIMER PC120 ARE FOR BONDING INVAR TO CARBON FIBER COMPOSITES.

KANNAN VENKATACHALAM
OPTICS ASSEMBLY MANUFACTURER - Pondicherry India

sidebar (2002)

Q. I recently found a product called "Caucciu" in Italy, that translates as "Invar Rubber" and on doing a web search I found you and I am hoping that you may be able to direct me as to what sort of manufacturer/company I should be looking at to obtain this product. I live in Sydney, Australia. Any help you can give would be most appreciated.

Peter Kissner
- Sydney, NSW, Australia

A. Hi Peter. I don't think "Caucciu" has anything to do with the metal "Invar". I believe the word just means "natural rubber", but that it is an invariable (same in plural as in the singular) Italian noun, such that someone may have seen the abbreviation "INVAR" when they looked it up in the dictionary. Good luck.

Etching Super Invar 32-5 for Bonding

(2006)

Q. Does anyone have suggestions on an etchant solution for super Invar 32-5? If so, please include solution composition, immersion time, and temperature of the solution.

Greg Wasielewski
Aerospace - Palo Alto, California, USA

(2006)

Our Company has developed etching, polishing of Hastelloy C, Invar, Kovar, etc. If you need help, let us know.

anna_berkovich
Anna Berkovich
Russamer Labs
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
russamer labs banner