-----

"Teflon Coating of Electropolished Copper"

2000

I'm trying to understand which process can be useful to coat copper surfaces with Teflon

The purpose is to keep electropolished copper surfaces clean, coating them with a thin Teflon film.

Several companies do that but I found nobody who does it in a controlled atmosphere to prevent oxidation.

Carlo Bucci
- Rome, ITALY
^

2000

Caro Carlo,

To make a "standard" Teflon* coating you must to "cure" from 380 to 400ęC this temperature in the oven makes to oxide the Cu and become dark and fails the adhesion, you can avoid that with controlled atmosphere oven as you say, but I don't know any coater in Europe that have this kind of installation.

There are in the market paints that contains PTFE that are able to be cured at lower temp. even air dry. To know exactly which coating you can use, we must to know what are you expecting from the coating

(non-stick, corrosion protection, low coefficient of friction, etc.) and working condition (Temp. chem. attack, etc.)

Jordi Pujol
COATRESA SL - Barcelona, Spain
^

2001

Carlo,

I'm working on a similar type of application. Did you find a solution to your problem. If so, can you share this information with us?

Jeff Vitullo
- reading, Pennsylvania, USA
^