-----

"Galvanized Refinishing"

2000

Hi Refinishers,

I have just polished up a watering can that has brass accent rings on it and is made of galvanized metal. It is shiny and glowing and I'd like to know what to put on it to preserve the shine, like lacquer spray or something. Can you help me please?

Bob Canning
- Framingham, Massachusetts
^

Galvanized means hot-dipped in molten zinc. The initial shine was the result of a factory-applied chromate conversion coating which deters oxidation of the zinc for a period. There is no perfect clear coating that will deter oxidation indefinitely, but the simplest and easiest approach may be periodic application of Autoglym [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] .

^