Alternatives to 17-4PH Stainless

Q. I want to know what is alternative material or higher grade material then 17-4PH for wear, heat and corrosion resistance?
For us above material is costly and precipitation hardening process is stringent.

sadanand shetty
- India

Hi Sadanand. No material has all of the same properties as another of course -- so you have to decide which are the critical properties, and/or what are the acceptable limits. Since 17-4PH was chosen originally, you may be able to find the designer's notes about what those critical numbers were. You didn't mention high strength, but it may be another one.

The other approach would be for us to suggest cheaper stainless steels and have you tell us in what way they are not satisfactory. So how about I suggest 410 stainless? I'm quite sure it's not going to be good enough, but I won't know why. So maybe you tell us why it's not good enough and then we can narrow down to better alternatives?

Luck and regards,