Painting over Chrome Plating

Q. I have an eyewash deck mount similar to the one below:

59635

... and wish to paint over it to avoid trace metal contamination in the clean room.

What is the best action plan for this? I'm assuming I'd need to rough up the chrome / sand blast it to clean it and then primer and paint.

Ryan Powell
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

A. Hi Ryan. We have a number of threads on the topic of painting chrome if you want additional ideas, but I think you are on the right track that the chrome plating must be removed, the underlying nickel plating roughed up, and that sand blasting is probably the best way in this situation. Then a self-etching primer before your finish coat.

The eyewash station that you have shown us is rusting, so something obviously must be done -- but I don't think I'd share the implication that painting is better than chrome plating for a clean room environment. I'd have expected a new chrome plated eyewash station (and no washing it with bleach) to be a good approach.