Giving stainless steel a rustic finish

Q. I recently visited a Bass Pro Shop restroom located in Spanish Fort, AL. The stalls and countertops are made of stainless steel and they had a finish that I have been unable to find any info on. It appeared to be stained in spots with the stainless also visible underneath. I am very interested in finding out the technique to get this rustic appearance on some projects. Please help.

Lucy Freeny
- Daphne, Alabama, USA

A. Lucy,
Given the location of the stainless you saw, I suspect the stains were exactly that, stains. "Rustic" can mean a lot of different things I guess, I mean you don't have to have a polished surface just because it's stainless steel, stainless is done in brushed or matte finishes all the time.

If you want to abuse the surface a little you can always give it a wash with ferric chloride or hydrochloric acid to etch it (many a stainless steel kitchen sink or refrigerator has been damaged by using a muriatic acid based floor or tile grout cleaner nearby). You can repassivate afterwards to prevent further corrosion but the etch damage should remain.

ray kremer