How to achieve "Magnesium Look" on aluminum wheels

2007

Q. Replicating oxidized magnesium look?

I'm refinishing a set of vintage ET III "mag" wheels. Originally they came finished with a gold tone center that I'm not fond of. The color I'm trying to achieve is almost identical to primer grey. Primer would probably not be durable enough for a finish in this application. Can some one recommend a product that will duplicate this color yet be durable enough to use on wheels?

45323

I don't wish to powder coat, and a "flat" finish is essential.
Thanks to all who respond

Chris Cook
Restoration Hobbyist - Incline Village, Nevada, USA

A. Hi Chris. Thread 003 is about Real mag wheels (made of magnesium rather than aluminum alloy) and has photos of magnesium wheels both dull gray and polished to help readers visualize these questions.

If ET III are Real mag wheels, apparently all that is required is removing whatever is on them -- and they'll turn grey by theirself.

2007

Q. Hi everyone. I have another question concerning vintage "mag" wheels. I'm working on another set of aluminum wheels that have a great patina in the rough sand cast centers. However, there are oxidation spots. Some are grayish white and some are almost black. What would be the best process to remove them and achieve an overall even finish yet, not harm the patina. I would like to keep it at all costs! Thanks to all who respond!

Chris Cook [returning]
Restoration Hobbyist - Incline Village, Nevada, Good ol' USA!

A. Hi again. Best of luck but I don't think it will prove possible to remove severely oxidized spots while not affecting less severely oxidized areas.

What RAL color best matches oxidized magnesium?

2007

Q. I'm partially color-blind and refinishing a set of vintage cast aluminum "mag" wheels. I want to replicate the greenish-grey color of oxidized magnesium. A lot of the RAL colors in that range look the same to me so, can someone help me pick one? Thanks for all your help.

Chris Cook [returning]

To minimize search efforts and to offer multiple viewpoints, we combined previously separate threads onto this page. Please forgive any resultant repetition, failures of chronological order, or what may look like readers disrespecting previous responses -- those other responses may not have been on the page at the time :-)

Q. I'm trying to replicate the look of polished magnesium on aluminum wheels. There is one company, Real Rodders Wheels, that has nailed the process down but will only coat their own wheels; great company but unwilling to coat someone else's wheels.

aluminum alloy wheel looks like magnesium 59601
Polished aluminum vs. "EZ Care Magnesium" look -- photo courtesy of Real Rodders Wheels

The look is that of chrome but with warm goldish undertones. Any insight would be much appreciated.
Mark

mark ducharm
Hot Rod Builder - menifee, California

A. Hi Mark. Thread 0003 is about real magnesium wheels and includes a good photo of a polished real magnesium wheel for comparison.

I don't know what Real Rodders does and we can't post any responses regarding what they do anyway since it surely involves trade secrets. But one hint is that the hub of the wheel looks to be the same color as the face of the wheel. If this coloration persists on the back face of the wheel and everywhere, it probably would indicate an immersion process rather than PVD or a spray. And if it's an immersion process, my first guess has to be that it's anodized aluminum with some sort of an anodizing dye; alternately it might be a tinted clear coat of some sort. If the finish is not the same on the back or where covered by the tires, first guess would be that it's a PVD finish. Good luck!