World's #1 finishing resource since 1989
No login needed: Chime right in
Searching for alternatives for rubber seal coatings
November 26, 2013
Q. Our customer has a fuel vapor application that requires a molded FKM [fluorocarbon] seal with a Low Coefficient of Friction coating.
Does anyone have suggestions for new types of surface coating that meet the following criteria?
Coating to reduce Coefficient of Friction
- Low Coefficient of Friction to be 0.6 max.
- 10,000 installation and removes of the fuel cap on a filler neck at
-40, 22, 60 °C.
- Must not crack, peel or rub off.
- Must maintain Low Coefficient of Friction.
- Must be fuel resistant.
- Must not be able to be washed off by fuel.
- Ozone resistant to ASTM D2000 [affil. link to spec at Techstreet] Z3.
Sales - Twinsburg, Ohio, USA