Zinc Nickel plating

Q. Hi ,

I am trying to do zinc - Nickel plating (85% zinc and 15% Nickel) on steel. There will be further working on steel and plating should be able to withstand further machining operations on steel.
The dip times will be relatively short (maybe 10 seconds). What should be the chemical composition of bath? Should I use both zinc and Nickel anodes? What should be the anode surface area (of zinc and Nickel) and current density?
The cathode area is approximately 300 sq. cm.
Should I go for zinc sulphate and Nickel Sulphate combination as the dip times are relatively short?

Please suggest.

Murali R
- Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India

A. Hello Murali,

I think 15% Nickel is hard to obtain without proprietary brighteners... And the acid Zinc-Nickel is rather new for industrial processes, so I think formulating your our bath is not an option.

Do you want to plate for 10 seconds? I think you will have no deposit at all, the zinc-nickel bath is not homogeneous and its efficiency is rather low as it is an alloy bath.

Please give us some more information, so we may help you with your project.

Daniel Montanes
TEL - N Ferraris S.A. - Canuelas, Buenos Aires, Argentina