Ferric Chloride vs. Cerium as Coagulant

I was wondering if anyone has tried to mix a small amount of cerium in with ferric chloride for waste water treatment? A company is attempting to commercialize a treatment based on cerium, and I am wondering if anyone has any experience with it and whether you think it has merit in regards to a ferric chloride additive or complete replacement?

Any pros/cons commentary would be greatly appreciated.

Tom
GS GIR

Thomas Daniels
- New York, New York

A. Hi Tom. If you are an end user of other coagulants like ferric chloride and are considering adding the cerium-based proprietary for removing phosphorous, hopefully a reader who has tried it will come forward. But the company that is marketing it should be able to advise whether they advise mixing with another coagulant, or feel that that would be damaging (for example does the cerium react with the iron?).

But if you are with the company which is trying to commercialize this, I don't think a casual reader like myself is in a position to tell you that your thousands of hours of development effort are wasted and you should scrap the effort, nor is it realistic for me to encourage you to persevere :-)

Best of luck.