Antique coat hook snapped: How to fix it or find someone who can?

Q. I have an antique teacher's hall tree. One coat hook has snapped in two during a move. I tried sanding & superglue. It did not hold. How would I fix this (I am a female who has not soldered anything before) and/or what are the key words to type in to find a person who does this kind of repair in or nearby Long Beach CA if I am unable to do it myself?

Pat G-Taylor
- Long Beach, California, USA

A. If it is made of brass, then it can easily be repaired by soldering, or preferably by silver brazing. Most any welding or machine shop will be able to do this quickly and easily. It's no more than a five minute job. A jeweler could do it too, but will probably charge more. You or a friend *might* be able to solder brass, or you might make a mess. A pro will do a much better job. and charge less than you would spend on a torch and supplies. If it is *old*, then likely it is brass.

If it is newer and inexpensive, then it may be cast zinc. In that case high strength epoxy is probably the best answer, but even that may not last.

Jeffrey Holmes, CEF
Spartanburg, South Carolina