Waste water treatment - zinc precipitation / filter press pretreatment

(2000)

Our company is a manufacturer of latex paint, and we are looking to install a filter press to reduce our wastewater disposal costs. We also have an issue with zinc contaminants, as we have trouble flocculating it to below 3 ppm. The filter press will likely require a wastewater pretreatment stage to improve performance, probably some sort of surfactant. I am wondering if there is a surfactant that will also precipitate the zinc. If anyone has experience with this, I appreciate your help.

Mike Rompala
- Garland, Texas

(2000)

I may can help. I have experience treating zinc to 0.5ppm. If I could get more information?

danny tynes
Danny Tynes
used electroplating equipment
- Birmingham, Alabama

(2000)

In your case I would advice a filter press with a post treatment to remove the last few ppm of zinc. Concentrate from the post treatment can be recycled to the pH-adjustment before the filter press. This always ensures low zinc level in the effluent and results in a lower moist content in the filter cake, compared to the use of flocculants, surfactants and other additives.

Ruud Gerritsen
- Simpelveld, Netherlands

Yes, filter press will responsible for the receiving water only, that is, the wastewater need to be treated before filtering.

pH adjusting is also a method for thickening the solids and shifting those tiny ones to bigger ones; is it possible to add flocculant agent?

Or just discharge the wastewater to tanks to check its thickening conditions?

The smallest ones are the kep point "role"during filtering,as it will stay on the filter cake growing side or filter cloth side for cake building.

Qi Yangqi
- Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China