Thermal Oxidation of Titanium?

(2000)

Hello, I was wondering if any one could give me information on thermal oxidation if Titanium. I have only found out a little bit about it -- also I was wondering what the best/brightest colors that are produced (and how)? I have heard that either a torch or kiln can be used (what are the differences)? Does anyone have info. on colors that will be produced or times (to heat for)? Also I have heard that pure oxygen can be sprayed on the heated Ti. to also alter the colors, does any one have info on this and what will be produced through this process?

Also does any one know where I could look to get some small scraps of Ti. to test? Thanks SO much, I hope you can help.

Malcolm A
- Ft. Collins, Colorado, USA

(2002)

Thermal Oxidation of Titanium I'm also looking for data about "Thermal Oxidation of Titanium" in air. The temperature range should be between 20 and about 1000°C. Can you help me?

Thomas T
- Andelfingen, SWITZERLAND

I did some experiments on Ti oxidation (in air) at elevated temperatures. It was observed that the oxidation is sluggish below ~500°C. In addition, it was also observed that Ti6Al4V is more resistant to oxidation than pure Ti.

Dr. S. Paul
- Cambridge, UK