-----

What does "flashed" mean in regards to galvanizing repair?

Q. Hoping someone can help me regarding terminology. I have a fabrication drawing (overseas company) for a galvanized steel skid (8' x 4', I-beam and c-channel construction) that calls for drain holes to be cut prior to hot-dip galvanizing. These drain holes are then filled by welding carbon steel plugs in the holes after galvanizing.

In the repair notes, it mentions:
"After the galvanizing process, all the drain holes shall be fill welded with smaller pieces of raw metal. The welding area shall be ground and flashed carefully for the next painting process"

In this context, can anyone tell me what "flashed" means? Is this some sort of coating or prep (i.e. cold galvanizing) to the carbon steel plugs to prevent corrosion? Or something else entirely?

Thanks in advance!

John Kjellbotn
Project Engineer - Calgary, AB, Canada