-----

Holey utility zinc sink!

Q. I have an OLD zinc utility sink with a corroded hole. The bottom of the sink is also rusted. Can repairs be made? I would rather not replace it with a polypropylene tub but keep it for the history. The building is 100 years old - the sink must be close to that!

zinc utility sink with corroded hole 1 zinc utility sink with corroded hole 2

Thank you!

Sharon Pomponio
property manager - Washington, DC USA

Cold Galvanizing Spray

Affil. Link
Your purchases make finishing.com possible

Rust Converter Spray

Affil. Link

A. Hi Sharon.

Epoxy is underrated; I used J-B Weld [affil link] on a burst outdoor faucet and it lasted for years. If it's a pinhole, I'd fill it with the epoxy. If it's larger, I'd cut a small piece of galvanized sheet metal and use epoxy to glue it over the hole.

After that, apply rust converter and then zinc rich paint (sometimes called cold galvanizing paint to the inside. Good luck.