-----

My old Ford Bumper Got Green Spots - How To Fix?

Q.
From what I've read on this excellent site my car's front bumper bar has the chrome plating breached down to the underneath layers and, to quote "...It's all over...".

There's green areas coming through.

I can't afford to put the thing into a shop for a complete re-chroming so I'm guessing the next best thing would be this modern 'chrome paint' your site mentions.

Would that be right?

And does it work okay as a 'patch' or should the whole thing be done with it? (pretty big old 1971 car, days of mega chrome)

Arthur Brogard
- Murray Bridge, South Australia

"Chrome" colored bumper paint

Affil. Link
Your purchases make finishing.com possible

A. Hi. There is cheap "Bumper Chrome" paint available and, although it probably doesn't look much like chrome, it can be applied in patches and will stop the corrosion.

I happened to have been at an antique car show last week and noticed that several cars just used bumpers painted in a metallic gray (not even real shiny), and it didn't look terrible. What's good enough for a '57 Chevy is to me more than good enough for a '71 Ford :-)