-----

Need to platinize vanadium for extreme temperature and corrosion resistance

I currently am trying to find a way to platinize Vanadium in order to provide the toughest chemical resistance possible. It is the best combination I could find because Vanadium has a thermal expansion coefficient that is the closest to platinum. Everything else has failed (including all superalloys).

Here are the requirements for my use:

- 1000 °C to room temperature, thermal shock every 15 minutes or so.

- HBr, HI, Br2, I2, NH3 vapors at 800 °C to 1000 °C

I looked "almost" everywhere and the only possibilities I see for that is:

Electroless plating, fused salt baths (already used for Ti, Nb, and other refractories) or coating (sprayed).

There is virtually no literature available for plating Pt on Vanadium substrates.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Luc St-Pierre
Application Chemist - Quebec, Canada