-----

Plating zinc onto steel "How To" and protection of the zinc afterwords

Q. I have a small steel ring that I would like to plate with zinc I was wondering what process I would go through to get the best finish on this ring to prevent rust and also to look nice , such as which acid should I use? I have 3 vinegar lemon juice and muriatic acid. I also have a small zinc anode that I got at a marine supply store. What steps should I take in prepping my ring and plating rig? Also how should I plate it? voltages,time,ect... also once its done plating how can I make the zinc look nice and shiny , and keep it that way because I know zinc tarnishes easy? perhaps Stay Brite, a brass sealer?

Garrett Tompkins
- Frisco, Texas, USA

A. If you're talking about a finger ring or anything else subject to wear and handling, zinc is a poor choice. Any topcoat will wear away and the since will discolor and soon wear away.

Tell us what the purpose of the ring is and we can make suggestions.

Jeffrey Holmes, CEF
Spartanburg, South Carolina