-----

Is this just tarnish -- or a strange finish?

Q. I recently purchased 2 Reed and Barton plated porcelain lined ice water pitchers, dated 1879.
One of them has a strange white wash looking finish on the outside, it looks like someone painted it. I am not sure if it is tarnish or an actual finish application.
I have been searching for reference on what this may be, with no luck. I don't know if I should clean it or not.
Have you ever heard of such a thing?

58248-1 58248-2 58248-3

Jeanette Warner
- My Holly Springs, Pennsylvania, USA

Try to find some old catalogues of objects producer. Mid 19-th century objects can be patinated black too (that is well documented practice) -- so it is possible that your object is example of that type of finish (contrast of black and shiny surfaces). Hope it helps and good luck!