-----

Is Black oxide NSF approved?

Q. My company is currently looking to use a black oxide process on some of our parts, and I need to know if it is NSF approved.
Also if carbonitride or a lindure process is NSF approved.

Matt Girouard
Production Engineer - Burlington, Vermont

January , 2012

Hi, Matt. I'm no expert in NSF® Certification, but I don't think it works that way. I believe it is the product that is certified, not the finish. Now, whether a product could achieve certification with a black oxide finish probably depends on what the product is.

Black oxide relies on wax or oil to afford any corrosion protection, so I doubt that a black oxided product could be Certified for a drinking water application, for example. NSF has specialists who can guide you through this, though, and that may be indicated in this case. Good luck.