Powder coating finishes: textured, structured, plain

Dear All,
As per my understanding from our powder coating supplier,
we can get three types of finish 1: Texture; 2: Structure; 3: Plain

What is the difference between these three finishes?
How to define or select this type of finish for my requirement?
What is the advantage or disadvantage of these three?

Kannan Boopathi
- Salem, Tamilnadu, India

Hi, Kannan.

Plain and textured are pretty much self explanatory. "Structured" seems to be a relatively new word in the powder coating industry, used to describe coatings that are more of a "hammertone" look than textured. Of course, all words tend to mean fairly little out of context. I think you would need to look at paint chips which the supplier represents as "structured" to have a clear mutual understanding. As for advantages and disadvantages, I'm sure it's 90% appearance. Good luck.

The first thing to consider in choosing a PC finish is-- are my requirements decorative or functional. If functional then what is the purpose of the coating? I would choose epoxy based powder for chemical resistance or very low gloss finishes. For exterior weather resistance-- a polyester based powder would be my first choice or Acrylic if available. For internal decorative purposes, epoxy polyester powders will meet your requirements.
Having chosen the resin system to meet the demands of the surrounding environment the choice of aesthetic value to add to the visual experience can now be considered. I would suggest that your powder supplier can offer more special effects than the three you mention. Here is a list. Your supplier may have more or less special effects than those listed.
1)Plain
2)Hammer.
3)Texture, fine heavy.
4)Metallic, must be over coated if destined for exterior
destination or refurbishing of alloy wheels.
5)Candy.
6)Crackle
7)Wrinkle, fine coarse.
8)Wood Grain effect.
9)Marble effect.
10)Crocodile. I have not seen this around for many years. The effect was almost similar to a crackle finish but with raised geometrical square peaks with narrow troughs-- rightly named Crocodile finish.
If you are unfamiliar with any of the above-- I am sure Google will supply an answer.
Terry

Terry Hickling
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Q. What is the difference between structure finish & texture finish in powder coating?

soma shekar
- Bangalore, karnataka, India

A. Hi Soma. That was already answered. The problem remains that we cannot put a fine point on slang or casually used terms. You & I could get together and look at two finishes and call one "structured" and the other "textured", but in a world of 7-1/2 billion people there is no rule or law that prevents two other people from getting together, looking at the same parts, and assigning the opposite labels to them. Paint chips showing what you want and what you don't want are probably the only way to go.