MSDS's for "Finished" Materials

(2000)

I am the Compliance Manager for an electroplating / phosphating company in Cincinnati. One of our customers has requested that we supply them with Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS's) for every chemical we supply to them (a slight stretch of the OSHA requirements, in my opinion).

We apply zinc with clear/yellow/olive drab chromates and also zinc phosphate with oil/wax to their products. I have no problem supplying MSDS's for zinc, oil & wax because we supply those materials in their "pure" form to our customer.

However, I am reluctant to give our customer MSDS's on the chromates and the zinc phosphate concentrates because those materials are NOT what we provide to our customer. i.e. The concentrates contain HNO3, H2SO4, CrO3 etc., chemicals that are the media through which we produce the final coatings and are not materials that are actually SHIPPED to the customer.

I have contacted our supplier of zinc phosphate and he stated that they do not have an MSDS on the actual zinc phosphate coating itself.

Has any one else run into this problem and if so, how was it handled?

Craig Slanker
- Cincinnati, OH USA

Ed. note: see also letter 5941 which is very similar.

(2000)

I've never been involved in the preparation of such MSDSs, but it is something that is done. I have seen them, for example, shipped with replacement brake disks for electric motors.