-----

"Polishing Intricate Stainless Steel Spheres and Concave Mirrors"

Current question:

Q. Hello. I am a metal craftsman tasked with polishing a 3/16" thick and 53" diameter piece of stainless that contains multiple highly detailed "cut-outs". The backside contains 65 welded 440 and 632 stainless steel studs for attachment to a structural fixture. Throughout the sanding and polishing process I have been using a wooden "backer board" of plywood to (a) add rigidity to the piece during polishing, and (b) protect the threaded studs from damage on the backside during positioning / re-positioning.

I suspect third body debris is generating from the backer board and entering the wheel / stainless interface during polishing thereby causing new imperfections (scratches). Has anyone here experienced damage from third body debris using a wooden backer board when polishing? Can you suggest a better backing material for rigidity and stud protection during this process short of using another piece of steel / stainless steel? Thank you.

Mark Frazier
- Omaha Nebraska
^

Closely related Q&A's, oldest first:

Q. I am an Artist and want to produce an Art project. It's like a decoration piece.
So I will need to produce 7 spheres and 2 concave mirrors.
size of the spheres range between: 20cm to 55 cm (diameter)

concave mirror of 180cm as large, and with the concave bending of 8cm in the middle.

57045

The problem is I need to produce then in MENASA countries. A condition set by the Sponsor.

So anyone can help me or direct me to a Factory in this region.

I really appreciate everyone's help.

Husam Chaya
Artist - Paris
^

^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated

A. I am sure you will be able to find plenty of factories in Israel or Egypt.
All the rest countries in north Africa and middle east are too turbulent to risk a visit for the project.
Good luck

Mario Tabenig
- Huntington Beach California
^