Barrel Silvery Plating for Stainless Steel.

(2000)

Good day. I have some questions about Barrel silvery plating for stainless steel process need advice.

(I have no experience about stainless steel plating.)
1.What mean about "flash nickel strike"?
2.How to use flash nickel strike in barrel silvery plating for stainless steel process? What is the key point?
3.About the adhesion of the silvery layer, the parts must test in 800 degree C baking 2 hour, what is the key point in the barrel silvery plating process to insure the quality? Thanks for your help.

Niann Tsyr Wen
- Taipei, Taiwan

(2000)

You have to ensure very low metal content, and the current on when the parts hit the solution. i.e., : Ensure the barrel dangler is directly connected to the cathode bus bar before being lowered into the solution.

Khozem Vahaanwala
Khozem Vahaanwala
Saify Ind supporting advertiser
Bangalore, Karnataka, India

saify logo

(2000)

I would suggest that you use a Woods Nickel (all chloride) strike before plating. The strike will be silvery in color but as the name implies should only be used to deposit enough metal to cover the part. greater thicknesses will be brittle. After the Woods strike you can either plate in a regular nickel (watts) bath or plate tin or silver for the color. An important question which I should have asked first is why do you want to plate the parts?

Gene Packman
process supplier - Great Neck, New York

(2000)

Dear Khozema Vahanwala , Gene Packman, Thanks for your help. The silvery plating in ss part surface is a function to keep out part bitten in high temperature environment. May I ask, what is woods nickel strike? Is it using for ss strike plating?

In reference, the strike plating want high chloride acid concentration, high current density. Maybe it is woods strike. But as we know, in barrel plating the current density is low, and I can't find this process in our country. So if some one have experience to do the barrel woods strike process. Can give me some suggests to building this process. Thank you.

Wen Niann-tsyr
- Taipei,Taiwan

(2000)

2 items

1] my previous experience processing nickel strike in barrel does not require live entry. By comparison , Silver strike does require live entry

2] Nickel strike bath makeup instructions and chemistry should be available from most major industry suppliers...

Ron Landrette
plating equipment supplier - Bristol, Connecticut