Chromic Chromate Analog Conversion Coatings

(2000)

Looking for research into alternative conversion coatings for aluminum that are analogs of chromic chromate conversion coatings, i.e., use the same chemical structure, but with a different metal than chromium.

Had this information once, but have lost it. I Am interested in using this process to enhance the corrosion resistance of aluminum in thin film microelectronics applications.

John Graves
Microelectronics Research Laboratory - Columbia, Maryland, USA

(2000)

Hi John, There are some trivalent chromium based chromates out there I do believe, along with non-chromium based chromates (I know, it sound redundant to say that). Their corrosion #'s compared to the typical hex chrome products isn't there yet, but if you're just thinking a little bit of help to your process, then they should work for you.

Try Henkel, maybe some others, if you can't locate someone that has them let me know and I'll look someone up for you that sells them.

Matthew Stiltner
plating company - Toledo, Ohio