RE-COLORING CARBURETOR BODIES

(2000)

Q. I need to find a fool-proof way to correctly 're-color' old carburetor bodies to their original "iridescent yellow / gold rainbow" coloring. These bodies are made of a zinc die-cast alloy ('ZAMAK 3 & 5'). Does anyone know the correct procedure for doing this re-coloring ? I appreciate your help! Thank you!

LARRY FULTON
- Great Falls, Montana

(2002)

A. Hi Larry. I am told that the best way is by zinc plating the carburetor bodies first. To me "fool-proof" probably dictates "best way" not "a possible way". Good luck.

(2003)

A. Regarding recolouring carburetor bodies, particularly zinc die-cast types such as Holleys, Zinctone from Turco is a professional product used in Australia. Available from Avanti in 20L drums. In USA check with Turco division of Henkel Technologies.

Gavin Campbell
- ORMEAU, QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIA

(2005) -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. I need information on the process for recoloring classic car carburetors to the original yellow dichromate color. I believe it is a hot dipping process.

Lynn Palmer
Car restorer/hobbyist - Houston,Texas, USA

----
Ed. note: We appended your inquiry to a thread which may answer it for you, Lynn. But feel free to follow up if this is insufficient.

Q. I have occasion to refinish several small pistol frames made of cast Zamak. The original black has worn from the edges and high spots, exposing the cast material which is now dull gray in color.
What should I do to prep the surface?
Then, what specific formula should I use to achieve a finish color similar in tone to this:

pistol frame made of Zamak

(photo courtesy of
www.ai4fr.com/main/page_militaria__collectibles_germany_luger_erma.html
... visit that site for more)

Any after-treatment or sealer or stabilize?

David Parker
- Trumansburg, New York

A. Zamak is zinc based alloy so you can use any zinc colouring method. Try next download free booklet on metal colouring and plating:
attachments.wetpaintserv.us/ZLSnLKosv0l3CnE9hGDi7w488720
- there you can find some zinc colouring methods.
Hope it helps and good luck!

----
Ed. note Jan 2017: Although wetpaintserv.us was a legitimate site when Goran posted it, it is now at best a link farm, at worst a phishing site. It told me my computer was infected (which it isn't) and that it could fix it. Don't go there!! But here is Goran's actual booklet.

thumbs up signThank you very much! Your data, as well as helping with my immediate situation, promises to be a valuable reference for future metal-coloring projects.

David Parker
- Trumansburg, New York, USA