Anodes for WOOD'S NICKEL STRIKE BATH

2000

Q. WE USE A CONVENTIONAL WOODS NICKEL STRIKE FOR STAINLESS STEEL. FOR ANODES, WE HAVE TYPICALLY USED THE OLD WORN ROLLED NICKEL ANODES FROM OUR WATTS NICKEL BATH. WE ARE NOW SWITCHING THE WATTS BATH TO NICKEL SQUARES IN TITANIUM BASKETS. HAS ANYONE USED THE TITANIUM BASKETS WITH NICKEL SQUARES IN A WOOD'S NICKEL BATH?

WILLIAM F. MORGAN
- SARATOGA SPRINGS, NEW YORK

2000

A. The Ti baskets will not last as long in the Wood's Strike as in conventional nickel because of the high chloride content and anodic current.

Squares? If this is electrolytic nickel and not a sulfur depolarized nickel, you are ok. SD chips are a problem. see some past letters on the subject.

I preferred the rolled depolarized bars.

2000

A. Hi William ,

I have work 4 years with a nickel Wood's bath. I used titanium baskets and electrolytic squares nickel and along of this four years I haven't any problems with the anodes (this bath works 24 hours per day, five days per week). I hope this can help you to decide about your anodes.

JosÈ Francisco Rodrigues da Costa
- Aveiro - Portugal

Q. May I use a nickel plate obtained by plating with a sulfamate nickel bath, as anode in Wood's nickel strike?

Luca Manni
Galvanic depositions - Rome, Italy

A. Yes, that should be ideal up until you break thru to what ever the substrate. The slow dissolving pure nickel well be good, but be sure to remove the anodes when not in use.

Editor's note: Mr. Probert is the author of Aluminum How-To / Aluminio El Como
and co-author of The Sulfamate Nickel How-To Guide