Painting Aluminum

(2000)

I am Installing A doubling Swinging Front Door for A client with A Phantom Screen on one Side only. This Means I have to create a centre post that has Flush bolts built in, to pin it to the threshold and the top of the Jamb so that it can be removed when items are moved in and out of the cathedral entrance.

I was toying with the idea of using 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" Aluminum Tubing for this purpose. Locally I can't get the size I want in Anodized Aluminum, only raw aluminum which will need finishing.

My question is what do I prime this un-anodized aluminum with & what do I paint it with to ensure it doesn't oxidize? Any suggestions?

Steve Torgerson
- Medcine Hat, Alberta, Canada

(2000)

Powder Coat it. We've tried to paint aluminum and it never really works well, but the best is to bead blast or sand, wash with water and soap, rinse, then use a mild solution Muriatic Acid [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] or Vinegar (this does something to the surface, though I don't know exactly), prime with a good Self-Etching Primer [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] and paint. Call an Auto body paints supplier for details.

Kurt L [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Brooklyn New York