German Surface Finishes

(2000)

Q. I'm trying to translate some German drawings and can't seem to find any correlations for German surface finishes. The numbers range from 1-4. How do they correspond to numbers used in the states (32, 63 etc.) Thank you for your time.

David Meade
- Kingsport, Tennessee, USE

(2000)

A. David:

Germany uses metric measurements. If I assume right, the 1-4 should be micrometers(µm). 1 microinch(µin) = 0.0254 micrometer(µm). 1-4 µm range = 39.37-157.48 µin. I hope this is useful. If I am assuming wrong, I sure someone will lets us both know. Good luck.

Bill Boatright
- Raleigh, North Carolina

A. Hi David. Personally I think it's too risky for you to hazard a guess what "1-4" means. Bill is right that 1-4 microns corresponds to 39.37-157.48 microinch, but we don't know if it means Rz or Rms if it even means those microinch values. Good luck.

March 13, 2014 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. I HAVE A DRAWING THAT CALLS FOR A SURFACE FINISH OF Y. WHAT DOES THIS EQUATE TO IN ENGLISH SCALE?

Denny Koser
- Texas

Hi Deny. Please upload a pic of the symbol in context on the drawing and help may be available.