23+ years of serious education, promoting Aloha,
& the most fun you can have in metal finishing smiley

Bright Dipping Anodized Aluminum

(2000)

I am looking for the best way to get a shiny reflective finish on an anodized aluminum part that has been dyed. I have heard of bright dipping but am unfamiliar with the requirements. I am familiar with the health hazards and was wondering if there is an alternative?

steve adams
- cedar city ut usa

(2000)

Bright dipping is done before the anodizing and dyeing, it can't be done afterward.I believe there are also soluble waxes and teflon dispersions that can be used in the seal tank to give some extra smoothness. But once a part is dyed and sealed, I know of no way to brighten it.

(2000)

If you are talking ones or two's, why not wax it with an appropriate wax and buff it on a power buffer?

(2000)

You can mechanically buff dyed and anodized aluminum, and it can do wonders to the luster of a surface. Use a cloth buff and some tripoli [link to product info at Amazon by ed.] compound. Don't use anything heavy duty super speed as far as the buffer goes, I've used a bench grinder with a cloth buff attachment, it works great. Its fast enough to move the material, but not so fast that it would cut the material or damage the finish.

Matthew Stiltner
- Toledo, Ohio