"Turbo Charged" Ni Stripping

(2000)

I run a plating shop where we plate large 420SS molds with Ni, run the part for a month or so, and then strip and rework the part. We then replate with Ni and so on ... What I am looking to do is speed up the Ni stripping step (some parts take 12-20 hours in the strip solution). We currently acid activate the part and then strip in an "Enstrip S180" solution. Has anyone had success with ultrasonically speeding up their stripping process? My thought is that the ultrasonics may prevent an oxide layer from developing, which I think inhibits the stripping process. Thanks for any hints, help, or discussion.

Steve Clark
- Pittston, Pennsylvania, USA

(2000)

Nitric acid will probably be the quickest solution to your problem but, etching of the SS will probably be a problem over time. I have looked into other methods and have found a proprietary mixture which removes over 1 mil per hour from SS and steel with no substrate attack. This is called B-9 Nickel Stripper. I don't know the manufacturer* but we purchase it from Luster-on Chemicals in Springfield, MA.

Tony D'Amato
Zero Discharge Technologies Inc. - Chicopee, Massachusetts