-----

Matching a chromate conversion color

Hi Gentlemen,

I have a problem and I need your help. I have a customer who requires this chromate conversion that I cannot match the color. Please let me know if you recognize this chromate color. It is cadmiun plating finish as per P-416C.

55927

Carlos Carrera
Consultant - Miami, Florida, USA

simultaneous October 15, 2010

If it is Alodine 1200, it has been left in the tank longer than normal. Because of the reddish tinge on some areas, my guess is that it is Iridite. That said, it still takes the same temperature, concentration and time to produce a similar color.
Surface finish also affects how the part looks.

A chromate conversion coating on cadmium plating is PURELY a functional corrosion resistant coating and not a decorative one. Color matching should never be a consideration in determining the quality of the coating. The color will vary for many reasons- thickness of the cadmium plate; concentration, temperature, and pH of the chromate as well as the contamination levels or age of the chromate. It is not plausible to try to maintain a specific color.

Jon Barrows
Jon Barrows, MSF, EHSSC
GOAD Company
Independence, Missouri
goadbanner4