-----

Copper plating help: 1934 vibraphone hardware

I recently got my hands on a 1934 Degan Vibraphone. The hardware was covered in nasty paint and other cover ups, and it appeared to be copper or brass. I tumble vibed the hardware down to find that it was only plated. Now I have an unknown metal that I want to copper plate. Several attempts have only yielded a nasty mass of copper like sludge that builds up on my hardware. I am using a simple set up and have successfully plated a quarter with the set up.

Any suggestions on whats wrong? or guidance as to how to get the hardware plated?

RYAN Anderson
hobbyist - Makawao, Hawaii, USA

You must know that iron or carbon steel cannot be plated with acid copper plating solution, you must use cyanide or pyrophosphate based bath, eventually old 19th-century tartrate based bath can be used too.
Hope it helps and good luck!

- Zagreb, roatia