-----

How to increase nitric acid from 60 % to 68%

hi.
I wanted to know how to increase the grade of nitric acid ...from commercially available 60% to 68%
is it ok if I heat it?
thanks, Piero

Pierino Casale
geologist - Rome, Italy

Hi, Pierino. I don't have any personal experience in this, but I think it is not as easy as that. I think you need to concentrate it by adding strong sulfuric acid. Please see if www.backyardchem.com/nitric-acid.php is helpful to you. Good luck.

I would strongly recommend against trying. Talk to your vendors. They can get nitric in virtually any strength, including what is known as fuming red, which is as strong as you can get. for small amounts, go to a scientific supply company. While they prefer to sell AR grade, most will have a tech grade also. This can be shipped in from out of the country if necessary.