Anti-Tarnish Finish for Silver - Electronics

(2000)

I am an Mechanical Engineer in the electronics industry and I am looking for a long term Anti-tarnish finish for silver. The application is on connector contacts. Base metal is Beryllium copper, finish is currently 1. Nickel plate 100-200 microinches per SAE-AMS-QQ-N-290 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] . 2. Silver plate 50-125 microinches per QQ-S-365. 3. Then 2 Minute anti-tarnish immersion in Tarniban.

I found that Tarniban is a temporary anti-tarnish finish, mostly for prolonging shelf life.

I know that QQ-S-365, grade A requires a tarnish-resistant treatment of chromate. Would this be the best finish for electrical contacts and the body of test connectors that are handled often?

Chris La Caze
- Kent, Washington USA

3M Silver Protector Strips

(2005)

You need to check out 3M's Anti-tarnish strips or their Oxidation Arrest products, the leading products available to prevent tarnish and corrosion. I am a former 3M employee who swears by their products.

Les Layton
- St. Paul, Minnesota, USA