-----

"Anodizing motorcycle clutch basket with non-removable steel components"

I own a 78 yamaha DT-400 Enduro that my father left to me that I have spent many years restoring. My clutch basket, which is non-replaceable, had wear notches or grooves in the tangs that I removed carefully with an oil stone wrapped in sandpaper, then a quick polish.Is there any way to tell if it is made of die cast aluminum vs. magnesium? I would like to have it hardcoated- not only for wear protection, but to take up some of the clearances from removal of the wear notches. Is it possible to protect the steel gears riveted to it as well as the copper bearing with some kind of sealer during the anodizing process. Thank you.

Frank Crawford
restoring my personal motorcycle - Simi Valley, California, U.S.A.
^

Hi, Frank. Although nothing is impossible, trying to completely mask the steel and copper is so fraught with possibilities for failure that unless you locate an anodizer who has done it before, I don't think it's worth the risk.

^