-----

"Is my ring, marked "10k PB", gold plated lead?"

Hello, I have a question about my wedding ring. "10k PB" is printed on the inside. Does this mean I have a gold plated hunk of lead on my finger? My wife of almost 5 years and I got our rings at good 'ol Wal*Mart. My ring is dented in places from work, & the gold seems thin. Thank you!
John Thompson

John Thompson
amateur jewelry designer - Guthrie, Oklahoma, U.S.A.
^

Hi, John. I don't think it's legal to mark "10k" on plated jewelry. So I believe your ring are made of 10k gold (10/24ths pure gold) through and through. The "PB" is probably the manufacturer, but I don't know who that is.

^

Ted is right. The manufacturer is most likely Paul Brackna (PB), who is a master goldsmith and jewelry designer. Lead is not used for a base metal in jewelry because it is too soft, and bad for your health (skin absorption). The gold and it's alloys in your 10k ring were cast. There is no "gold coating". I have seen cases where chlorine can lighten or darken the color tones of jewelry, depending on the alloys used in the casting.

process engineer - Malone, New York
^