-----

"Will a magnet stick to sheet metal after I paint it?"

I am looking to get a large piece of sheet metal and painting it the color of my walls to use as a large magnet board in my kitchen. I am wondering if the magnets will cling through the top coat?

Marcy Neuman
hobby - Buffalo
^

Hi, Marcy. It will not be a problem. You cannot "insulate" magnetism with anything, let alone paint. The only effect of the paint is that the magnet will be a thousandth of an inch away from the surface (or whatever the paint thickness is). Magnetic force is proportional to distance, but this distance is negligible.

^