-----

"Flow of air in a small paint spray booth"

Hello! I'm an industrial design student from Guatemala, I'm currently working on a spray booth design project. the spray booth I'm designing is a small one, intended for a paint shop, it will be used to spray paint small samples (lennetas and small metal pieces) it's about 50 cm. x 50 cm x 50 cm.

What I would like to know is if there's a different range of air flow determined for a smaller booth. I've read Kenneth Green's article ("designing a spray booth system that works") where he recommends the flow of air to be of 100 fpm -- is there a different number for smaller spray booths? where could I find this kind of information?

Monica Pagurut berthet
industrial design student - Guatemala
^

First of two simultaneous responses -- April 8, 2010

100 FPM is the speed of the air and that will stay fairly constant for most booths. What will change is the CFM, or the amount of air that it will take to get the 100 FPM.

^

Second of two simultaneous responses -- April 8, 2010

100 fpm is the universally accepted design velocity and that is independent of booth size. Total air volume will of course vary with booth size. If you use a down-draft style paint booth, then you can decrease the velocity to 50 fpm and still achieve adequate ventilation. This is due to the fact that solvent vapors are heavier than air.

Jon Barrows
Jon Barrows, MSF, EHSSC
Independence, Missouri
^